Monday, May 2, 2011

Fabulous Fablehaven

So, I know they've been out for a while, but I just finished reading Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series. I originally got the first book, Fablehaven, for my son for Easter. He's a little beyond the suggested age for the series...actually, a LOT beyond, but he enjoys reading, and I thought it would be just the thing for light reading before bed. I kind of hoped that his sister, who hates reading, would find some interest in it, too. So far, still hoping on that one!

My son picked up his book when I presented it to him, along with several dozen mini chocolate bars, and proceeded to read the description on the back cover. He seemed to be quite interested, but, since he was already in the middle of another book, I asserted my "parental right" to read his new book first. Just a side note, I usually do that! Anyway, I sat down to read, and when I next looked up, it was dinner time...with no dinner. So, I cooked dinner, all the while reading this wonderful little book I'd found. I just could NOT put it down. The characters are all very well rounded. They exploded off the page at me, shouting "look at me!" the whole time. I became very invested in the world, the action, and became enamored of the myriad mythical creatures inhabiting Mull's world.

I finished off Fablehaven in a matter of a few hours. But sadly, by that time, the library was closed. I could hardly sleep that Sunday night because the anticipation of visiting the library to get the next book was nearly overwhelming. Unfortunately, Monday morning had other surprises for me. Actually, very good surprises, but enough that I had to put off going to the library. Kendra and Seth Sorenson, Hugo, Grandma and Grandpa Sorenson all kept whispering to me during the four days I put off going to the library. Around here, when it rains, it pours. Literally. We were flooded in on Tuesday, Wednesday, and most of Thursday. But we did manage the library on Thursday afternoon. I was so excited about jumping back into Mull's world, that I made my husband drive home just so I could read.

It's now Monday, and I've finished all five books. The action keeps rolling along. The characters develop more and more. Old friends fall, new friends emerge. Allies turn to the dark side, new alliances are made with old enemies. More detail emerges about the fairy realm, about the delicate balance between the fairy, mortal, and demon worlds. Brandon Mull has packed his series with amazing people, creatures, powers, and emotions. By far, it's one of the best series I've ever read. I'm sure my kids, all four of them, will love it. I know I do. Which reminds me...gotta run to town. Hope they have the second through fifth books at the bookstore.

1 comment:

  1. I read the first Fablehaven and loved it! Thanks for reminding me of this great book, now I have to go find the rest at the library too.
    Unfortunately I couldn't get my kids interested, but that's o.k., they each have their own genre that they love. As long as they're reading I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete